I didn’t sleep last night.
I might have caught an hour or two between ten and seven, but I am exhausted as I write this. Why? Because people are shitheads.
Y’all know I’m moving at the end of January. The contract was signed, a deposit was put down, and the movers have been booked. There are packed boxes stacking up in the living room.
On that contract was a stipulation: a carport had to be added to the existing home in January, 2019. Why? Because park management insisted, and I wasn’t about to be held liable for something that was not my responsibility. It should have been replaced over a year ago, but the owner didn’t do it then and apparently, he still doesn’t want to do it.
I asked the realtor a couple days ago to check on this, and she told me the place had been painted and the damage caused by Irma repaired, but no new carport. She sent pictures. It looks very nice, and hey, the place already has a carport; why the hell would I need another one? I said the new improvements were acceptable but management had to sign off on it.
The realtor checked with the county; there was nothing in their building code about having to replace a carport; the owner of the place only had to make it “presentable,” and it was up to them to decide what to do with the concrete slab.
I called management late yesterday afternoon, telling her there was a problem. We went back and forth; she said the replacement had to be a carport, screen room, or Florida room. I told her there was no way I could afford to add those myself, nor should I have to, as the contract clearly states the current owner was doing it. She relented enough to say she’d talk to the park owners and see what they said.
So I didn’t sleep last night. I imagined the deal falling through and all my belongings loaded on a truck going nowhere.
When I finally crawled out of bed, head and body aching from lack of sleep, I dove into finding another place to buy. I found two in my price range. Neither of them is as good as the one I want, for one reason or another, but each one has cheaper lot rent (which included mowing, a big expense in Florida, as everything grows like mad) and water (another big expense). I’d be better off financially, if less happy, choosing one of them than trying to hang on to this one.
I emailed the realtor: a decision had to be made Monday, because Tuesday, I was going to look at something else. R likened this situation to the one Trump is currently in; he and the Dems are battling over that fucking wall, and one of them has to give in if progress is going to be made. Yes, the owner (Dems) should have built the damn carport, but he didn’t and management (Trump) doesn’t want to concede, so I should be punished? Like I said… shitheads.
The realtor emailed a few minutes ago that she and management had a lengthy conversation about this, and the latter would contact her as soon as she talked with the park owners.
Now I wait. I’m going a little crazy, not knowing where I’ll end up in three weeks, but somehow this kind of thing always works out for me. I will get the place that is best for me. None of them are perfect, but I’ll find a way to make it work.
And how is your Saturday going? 😉