Photos: 5.26.17

I’m back at Heron Pond today. I like that area during the day, when people are at work and kids are at school. I have a feeling it’ll be much busier in a few weeks, especially on weekends.

First bird I saw was the anihinga, perched on a branch above the water on the opposite shore from me. This photo came out better than I expected, given the distance I was from it.

Next, a female snail kite, even farther away. The coloring confused me, and I had to get ID help from friends. 

When I first got to that side of the marsh, I heard someone screaming. Well, a bird screaming. It was this limpkin, probably calling for a mate. They are noisy suckers. 🙂 Here, he’s trying to keep his balance on a log. 

When I was visiting R’s new house one day, he sent me down to a large canal not far away. He’s lucky, actually; there are two canals close to him. Unbelievably, I saw another snail kit. Nice bird, shitty background.

I recently bought a new program that makes it fairly easy to remove backgrounds like this. Quite a difference, eh? Now you can see the bird

You can’t always choose the right background for wildlife, and sometimes giving it a different one is the only way to go. I did the same thing with a red-winged blackbird. 

Hope you have a terrific weekend!

Advertisements

About Fenraven

Fenraven happily lives in south Florida, where it is really hot most of the year. Find him on Twitter, Google +, and Facebook by searching on 'fenraven'.
This entry was posted in photography, RL and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Photos: 5.26.17

  1. Wow amazing pictures the birds are beautiful.

  2. diannegray says:

    These backgrounds are great. Did you have to cut the bird out from the original picture? I always find that difficult.

    • Fenraven says:

      I found a way to remove the background that’s not too bad. In fact, I use PS instead of that new program I bought. The way I learned is destructive: erasing the background. The new way I do it is non-destructive, and everything can be restored if need be. It takes only minutes and is pretty easy. The entire thing is done with layer masking. I put together a PDF file showing exactly how I do it, and I make it available on an upcoming post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s